All donations to Diversity Thrift benefit the Richmond Gay Community Foundation, and are tax-deductible to the extend allowed by law. We provide tax receipts for all donations.
Drop Off Donations
We accept donations at our store’s location on 1407 Sherwood Avenue from 9am – 5pm Mondays and Tuesdays. And from 9am – 6pm Wednesday through Sunday.
Free Donation Pick Up
Our truck runs through Richmond, Henrico and Chesterfield every day of the week! We’ll go into your home and up to a second floor for donations of furniture, boxed house hold items, bagged clothing, and more! Due to high volume of calls, please plan to call us several days in advance of the day you’d like us to come by!
Call Diversity Thrift at (804) 353-8890 to schedule a free pickup of donations. Or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (please include your phone number!)
Items We Cannot Accept For Donation:
• Old model TVs, Projection TVs, old computers and monitors
• Mattresses & Boxsprings, Waterbeds
• Cribs, strollers, child car seats
• Any items rusted, broken, damaged, wet, or excessively dirty
• Large appliances (fridges, stoves, washers) over 5 years old
• Pianos, Organs, or anything requiring more than 2 very strong people to lift
• House paint, spray paint, flammables such as gas or fuel
• We cannot accept Fabric or Upholstered Furniture such as couches and chairs with stains, rips, dirt, odor, or pet hair. All upholstered items must be inspected by Diversity Thrift staff before we can accept as donation.
Our drivers & staff have discretion to refuse any item for donation on the basis of its condition or cost to our organization to dispose. Please understand that if we cannot sell something—or if it’s dangerous—then we must pay to dispose of it, often at substantial cost!
If you are unsure that we accept an item, feel free to give us a call! 804-353-8890 Or send an email with a phone number to email@example.com and include pictures of your donations in question, and a manager will respond promptly and assist with scheduling! ☺